Probate and Estate Administration

When someone passes away someone has to deal with their affairs.  This is called administering their estate.

I have been appointed as an Executor, what do I have to do?

If you have been appointed as an Executor in a Will, you have been asked by the person who has died to act on their behalf in connection with the administration of their estate.  This involves establishing the value of the deceased person's assets, applying for the Grant of Probate, making sure any outstanding bills or invoices are paid from the estate, dealing with any specific gifts (whether money or items) and then ensuring the remainder of the estate is paid to the correct people who are mentioned in the Will. 

This can be quite a daunting task, especially if the person who has died has made complicated provisions in their Will, if they have a large estate and inheritance tax needs to be paid or considered, or if they have an estate with unusual assets – such as offshore trusts or accounts or foreign property.

The Deceased did not leave a Will.  What do I have to do?

If there is no Will the person who has died is deemed to have died intestate.  This means that one of the persons named in the Intestacy Rules will need to apply for a Grant of Administration to deal with the deceased person's property.  The Administrator will then be responsible for ensuring the estate is distributed in accordance with the Intestacy Rules.

What Rollasons can do to help you.

We can act on your behalf in connection with the administration of the estate of the deceased person, including dealing with all the relevant Bank or Building Societies, applying for the relevant Grant from the Probate Registry, dealing with payment of any outstanding bills from the estate assets, preparing the estate accounts for approval and distributing the estate in accordance with either the Will or the Intestacy Rules.

When someone has died it is a very stressful time and if you would prefer us to deal with all aspects of the estate administration we are able to offer this service, many clients find this helpful as they do not have to deal with these matters on top of losing a close relation or family member. 

What if I just want to ask you to deal with obtaining the Grant and then I wish to deal with the actual administration of the estate myself?

You can instruct us to do as much or as little as you wish in connection with the administration of the estate.  If the estate is relatively small or only consists of one or two assets, then it may be you would prefer to deal with the actual administration yourself, but ask us to obtain the relevant Grant from the Probate Registry to enable you to deal with matters.  We would be happy to discuss matters with you regarding this in more detail if you do decide we can assist you.

Is it expensive to appoint Rollasons to deal with matters relating to a deceased person’s estate?

We charge fees in relation to estates on the basis of the amount of time spent dealing with the estate.  There is no charge based on the value of the estate, and you will know you are only be charged for the amount of time which is spent in connection with the matter.   We are happy to provide you with details of our hourly charging rate on request.

It is sometimes difficult to give a definitive estimate of costs at the outset of a matter as every estate is different and matters which may cause complications can be discovered half way through the administration of the estate. However, based on our experience and the assets known to be in the estate at the point of you instructing us we will provide you with an estimate of our fees which we expect to charge in connection with the administration.  We appreciate being able to budget for costs is important and we will always keep you informed of progress throughout the administration of the estate and let you know if there is anything we have come across which is likely to cause an increase in the fees. We issue bills monthly so costs can be reviewed and monitored on a regular basis.

If we are instructed to obtain the relevant Grant only and you propose to deal with the administration yourself we will normally be able to provide a fixed quotation for this.

I have a Dispute about a Will or about the way in which the administration of the Will is being carried out – Can you Help?

Rollasons are also able to offer assistance in connection with disputes about Wills and also disputes about the way in which an estate is being administered.  Further details about these services are available upon request.

What do I do next?

If we can be of any assistance in connection with any of the matters referred to above or if you wish to discuss matters relating to a deceased person or their estate in more detail then please do not hesitate to contact us